Short 3 day Breaks
Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway, an escape with friends or something more relaxed than a ‘city break’, L’Ancienne Distillerie has the solution for you. Avoid the crowds and take advantage of the lower cost of travel and accommodation by booking a short early/late season break in one of our luxury gites where you have the freedom to come and go as you please.
Our knowledge and experience of places of interest and local restaurants will ensure that you make the most of your time in the region and turn a good holiday into a memorable one.
Suggestion 1 - When surrounded by vines....!
Explore the old town of Cognac. Learn about the history and production process of Cognac and then tour one of the many world famous Cognac houses based in the town. Discover the local liqueur Pineau. Visit a barrel manufacturer and perhaps sample some of the local producer’s product.
Drive the beautiful river valley. Explore the cognac barge building museum and even take a ride on one of the old barges. Visit the local chocolate factory and finish your day with a walk around the ramparts of the historic town of Angouleme.
Whether it is the relatively unknown wine region behind the town of Blaye or the world famous vineyards of the Medoc a visit to the area is not complete without some wine tasting. Explore the beautiful city of Bordeaux or visit the World Heritage site that is St Emilion
Suggestion 2 - Monuments and nature
- Visit the beautiful gardens and Chateaux at Rochecourbon or the more intimate gardens of the medieval monastery at Tusson and the gardens de Chaigne in Touzac.
- Choose between the famous Zoo at La Palmyre, the Monkey and Ape park where you can walk through the animal enclosures or get up close and personal with the Charentaise ‘Rasta’ donkey as you learn about the national breeding programme.
- Visit the wild Atlantic coast or the quiet bays of the Gironde estuary. Tour the wonderful Ile de Re or dine at the old port in La Rochelle before exploring this historic city.
Suggestion 3 - Rest and Relaxation
- A late start before strolling to the village for your croissants. A long lazy lunch and then a snooze by the pool
- A slow drive along the river valley with a stop for a picnic. Some gentle cognac sampling before sipping a glass of wine whilst watching the sun set from your terrace
- A cycle through the vines. Another long lazy lunch. A boat trip on the river.